Sunday, April 5, 2009

more money, more problems


(a true story, written in fall 2008 for J200 class)

Some students complete an assignment the day it is given and never look at it again. Some students write and rewrite. Some students procrastinate until the day or hour before it is due, frantically typing away up until the last minute. And for some students, the only writing involved is the signing of a check.
“It’s always more fun to do someone else’s homework,” IU sophomore Emily Moore* said. “So why not make a profit from doing it?”
Although at the request of the student interviewed for the article, an alias is used, nothing else describing this business venture and its inner workings at IU is untrue.
Moore, a business major, and two of her close friends, built their current endeavor upon writing papers for other students for a profit.
“I know, technically, it’s plagiarism probably, but everything we write is originally ours,” Moore said. “Basically, people give us the paper topic, and we go to the library and get to work.”
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Bonnie Brownlee would not necessarily call Moore and her partners’ actions plagiarism, although she does believe that their business is ethically wrong.
“I would call it academic dishonesty,” Brownlee said. “There are different kinds of academic misconduct …I have a difficult time believing that a student can get to this university believing that cheating in any way is appropriate.”
Moore is well aware that what she is doing is wrong, but to her, the ends justifies the means.
“I look at it as helping someone out who needs it,” she said. “I did this all through high school, and I didn’t even consider starting up in college again until someone begged me to help them write a paper. Eventually that night it turned into a cash transaction, and me writing the whole thing for him.”
According to Moore, the student she helped referred her to other students, and the business began to snowball quickly into a venture with over twenty clients.
“Eventually I asked some other people I trusted to help, and here we are,” she said. “I’m not really proud of it, and I’m not sure if I want to do it next year, but I haven’t been caught yet.”
Brownlee believes that this escaping of responsibility is what leads students to continuously cheat.
“Students don’t imagine they’ll get caught,” Brownlee said. “Some have done this their whole lives. Students are not dumb about this, they know what they are doing.”
In the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct, the Indiana University Faculty Council states that students may be disciplined for several different kinds of academic misconduct, which include: cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, interference, and violation of course rules.
Yet at $20 a page for a three page paper with three days’ advance notice, Moore and her team turn out a profit of about $900 a week, and Moore believes that this is more than enough compensation for the threat of judicial action.
“It’s pretty lucrative, and since we sometimes work together on the papers, we just split among us whatever we make at the end of the week,” Moore said.
Moore is using her personal share of the money to pay for her education.
“College is really expensive, and since I’m from out of state, it can all add up including trips home,” she said. “Since I have to pay for it myself, I figured I could put my skills to use.”
Moore combines her writing skills and her business savvy in order to make sure that her enterprise is not only prolific but also secure.
“We make take on a lot of papers sometimes too many to handle, but we always get them done,” Moore said. “But we’re not too worried about getting caught, we’re very careful.”
Careful means to Moore setting guidelines and rules in order to ensure that the system she has created isn’t abused.
“No lie, we like the money,” Moore said. “But I don’t want to be a ‘paper whore,’ so we put some rules in place on a contract that you have to sign.”
Included in the rules are that the writers must be given at least one day’s notice before the assignment is due, depending upon the length of the paper as well as the topic. Prices vary due to subject matter, length, how long the team has to write it, as well as how ‘dangerous’ of a paper it is to write.
“I really do not like writing papers that are submitted online,” Moore said. “Sometimes I’ll turn down those papers because although I don’t plagiarize, I’d hate for turnitin.com to catch something and start a whole investigation.”
Although the Internet has made it easier for professors to catch students cheating, it has also made it much easier for students to cheat as well, according to Brownlee.
“More recently, a lot of what I have seen is a student downloading something from the web,” Brownlee said. “Students are using Wikipedia and inserting it in a paper or news story.”
Vice chair internal of Duke University honor council and Duke judicial board member Jason Brown agrees with Brownlee.
“A lot of cases we receive, about 70% actually, have to do with plagiarism,” he said. “And most of them are taking stuff off the web. Students use the excuse that they didn’t know what the rules were exactly.”
In order to ensure that the students are aware of the rules, both universities have different ways of making sure that students are informed.
“There’s a freshman plagiarism tutorial that’s new this year,” Brown said. “All freshman are required to take it as part of their writing 20 class, which is a required class.”
Beyond students reading the rules themselves, however, professors often go over them in class.
“Everyone who teaches talks about credibility,” Brownlee said. “Yet there is a culture of people who don’t give a damn.”
Brown believes that the types of students more likely to cheat are actually the ones most involved around campus.
“A lot of what I see is kids that are overwhelmed,” he said. “They’re kids who take too much on and feel like they have run out of time for things and look for an easy way out despite that they are usually hard workers.”
Moore considers herself to be such a student.
“Yeah, I work hard, otherwise I wouldn’t be where I am, getting good grades,” she said. “However, I never take on more of other people’s assignments than I can handle. Otherwise, when would I find the time to do my own?”

*names have been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment